Friday, December 5, 2014

5th Day of Bloggy Christmas: DIY Fleece Scarf


On the 5th Day of Bloggy Christmas Miss Krista gives to you, a DIY School Spirit Fleece Scarf!


Brought to you by:

  The Ruffled Stitch  photo button_zps47f31b59.jpg

I was trying to think of something fun I could make my kiddos for Christmas this year since it seems like lately everything we get them is from the store. Every Friday is school spirit day and I saw a few people wearing these at a football game I went to a few weeks ago and was totally inspired! So, I stopped at JoAnns, grabbed some soft and fluffy fleece in Blue and Orange (Go Colts) and some White to make the colors pop a bit. Not only are these scarfs super cute, but they were quick and easy to throw together.

Supplies:
Cutting Mat, Quilting Ruler, Rotary Cutter (optional but will make life so much easier)
Scissors
Sewing machine to sew one straight line or a needle and thread if you want to hand stitch
2 or 3 colors of fleece AP fleece

When making these scarfs first determine how long you want them to be.  I made mine 4' (48") long for my kids, they are only long enough to do a single knot. But I wanted the scarfs to be easy for them to put on without having so much extra fabric they didn't know what to do with it all.  If I were to make one for my self I would use about 6' (72"), that will give you enough room to double it over or tie it more intricately.

First cut a 5" strip from each color of fleece.  I made two that's why there are two orange strips in my picture.  Pick 2 or 3 colors.


Then layer the fleece in the order you want.


Are you ready for the hard part? Sew one straight line down the middle of the strip.  I didn't pin the fleece, and I used one of the lines on my sewing machine to keep a straight line.


Trim the edges to make a nice finished edge.


With a nice pair of sharp scissors cut 1" wide strips leaving about 1/2"-1" to the center line.


Flip over and repeat on the other side.


Fluff up the scarf and it's ready to wear.  Super easy and quick gift! I'm hoping my kiddos love them but since they are for Christmas I can't say for sure.  Cross your fingers :)


Print Friendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...