Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Tweetle Beetles


I love Dr. Seuss! Some of my favorite Dr. Seuss characters are Tweetle Beetles.  I don't know why, but they are just fun. So, while I was stuck at home with my kids last week with yet another snow day we pulled out our copy of Fox in Socks. This book is challenging to read regardless but with my fabulous cold I'm sure it was quite comical to hear this time... Anyway, we enjoyed our snowed in afternoon making our own DIY Rock pet Tweetle Beetles.


 

Supplies:

Smooth Rocks
Hot Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
Paint
Paint Brushes
Water
Paper Towels
Google Eyes
Colored Pipe Cleaners
Scissors
Hair Dryer (for impatient kiddos who are in a hurry for the paint to dry)


I picked up a bag of rocks at Walmart for $4-5. It seems like a shame to buy rocks but I don't have any close that were what I was looking for. I'm sure you could find these or something like them at any craft store too.


Grab some acrylic or tempura paint and let your kids mix the colors and decorate their rocks however they want. My kids immediately wanted to add eyes and antennae so we had to pull out the trusty hair dryer to help the paint dry quicker.  Hopefully your kids are more patient but if not it works wonders!


Grab your hot glue gun.  We tried regular school glue and tacky glue but if you want your pieces to stick you pretty much need hot glue.  My kids are older so I let them use it on their own so they could show off their individuality. Cut up some pipe cleaners and make some fun furry antennae for your beetles.


Now the most important part, Google eyes.  Everything is more fun with Google eyes! Even if you kids want to add 3 or 4 or 10, who cares? It's fun right? :)






Now you have some fun friends to read with!


Yeah for Tweetle Beetles :)

Print Friendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...