Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Strawberry Freezer Jam

Strawberries are here! They taste fabulous and it's the perfect time to make Jam!  Every year I make at least a double batch of strawberry and raspberry freezer jam.  It's still a little early for raspberries but since I only had one jar left of strawberry from last year I ran to Sam's for my Strawberries :)

I use the recipe that comes in the box.  It's what my Grandma made and it's what my Mother-in-law makes. It's quick and easy and tastes fabulous!  From start to finish I can make a batch of jam in 30 minutes.


Print Recipe

Strawberry Freezer Jam

1 1.75 oz Pink box Sure Jell Premium Fruit Pectin
4 pints of strawberries (1 big double container is enough for 1 batch) - 4 cups crushed/chopped
3 cups of sugar
1 cup water




I use the little 1/2 pint canning jars and I fill 8 per batch.  You can use plastic containers too. Wash your jars/containers.

Rinse the berries.  


Top and mash or chop.  I like to use my ninja to chop them.  It takes about 2 sec to get them to the consistency that I like.  


I chop them in 4 batches and transfer them to a large batter bowl with measurements on the side so I can check to see that I have 4 cups of fruit.  If your ratio's are off sometimes it won't set up right.


In a large saucepan combine the 3 cups of sugar, the pectin, and 1 cup of water.  Stir to combine.  Use a large saucepan because when the mixture comes to a boil it will expand and you don't want it to boil over.  



Turn on your burner to medium high heat and stir until the mixture reaches a boil.  You know you are there when the mixture is transparent in color and even when you are stirring it continues to boil.  Cook at a full boil for 1 minute.  

Pour the hot pectin mixture directly into the berries and stir for 1 minute until it is thoroughly incorporated.


Pour the jam into your containers.  Be sure to leave about 1/2" of room at the top to allow for expansion during freezing.  Put on the lids and let set at room temperature for a full 24 hours.  


Then freeze for up to a year or refrigerate and enjoy!


Print Friendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...