Friday, September 20, 2013

Crazy Ingredient Challenge: Creamy Coconut Milk Tomato Basil Soup


Crazy Ingredient Challenge: Tomato and Coconut

I have been excited to participate in the Crazy Ingredient Challenge! I love that it makes me think outside the box and take a step outside of my comfort zone.  The challenge for September is Tomato and Coconut. Although the recipe I made wasn't my all time favorite recipe it was surprisingly good.  Now that it's starting to be fall, I'm in the mood for soup! There are few things more comforting that a big bowl of soup on a crisp day, especially when it's tomato soup with cheese toast or a grilled cheese sandwich.  Ever since I looked on the label of Campbell's Tomato soup (that I grew up eating) I've had a hard time opening up a can to dig in. So I thought I would try my hand at this classic.  Tell me what you think!


Creamy Coconut Milk Tomato Basil Soup

2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 sweet onion diced (1 1/2 cups)
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
3 cloves of garlic, pressed
1 28 oz can San Marzano whole tomato's
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp tomato paste
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
1 tsp kosher salt + more to taste
2 tsp fresh ground pepper
3/4 cup coconut milk (6 oz)
1/4 cup fresh basil
Toasted coconut (optional)

Heat a large sauce pan over medium heat.  Drizzle the olive oil in the bottom and add the onion and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes until the onion is translucent.  


Add the sliced carrots to the pan and cook for a few minutes.  


Add the tomato's crushing with the back of a wooden spoon or with your hand.  


Drizzle in the honey, add the tomato paste, the chicken broth, water, salt, and pepper. Taste for seasoning adjust as necessary. Turn the heat to high and bring the soup to a boil.  


Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer uncovered for 30-40 minutes.  


Meanwhile slice the basil into strips.  



 Turn off the heat.  Add the basil, add the coconut milk and stir to combine. 



Transfer the soup to a blender (I used my Ninja) and puree.  Be careful that you have room to accommodate all the soup, blend in two batches if necessary.  


Serve with toasted coconut and crackers/fresh bread/cheese toast/grilled cheese sandwich.  




HunngryLittleGirl

Print Friendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...