Saturday, December 29, 2012

Cheese Ball

My Grandma made this Cheeseball for Thanksgiving and for Christmas every year, although it can be eaten whenever.  I always crave it at the holiday's and when I make it I am reminded of wonderful memories of my Grandma, her great food, and family time.


Grandma Betty's Cheese Ball
1 pkg of cheese from a box of macaroni and cheese
2 pkg 8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 square of butter
1 tsp onion powder
2 Tbsp green onion, the green and the onion (I substitute 2 Tbsp dried chives)
chopped walnuts or pecans about 1/2-1 cup

Mix the cream cheese until soft.  I use my kitchen aid.  Add in the butter, cheese pack, onion powder and green onion.  Chop up the nuts fine.  Put half of the mixture in a bowl and form a ball, roll in the nuts.  Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate.  Repeat with the other half.

I find it easiest to place the cheese mixture on a piece of plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes before trying to roll it in the nuts.  This way it is not as sticky and it holds its shape better.  The cheeseballs freeze very well.  I've left it in the freezer for over a month and had no difference in the taste.  Just defrost in the refrigerator overnight before you want to use it.  This is a great make ahead recipe, it tastes better after it's sat awhile.  It is an easy recipe to cut in half also, 1/2 the cheese is a heaping 2 Tbsp.

Serve with your favorite crackers.



Print Friendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...