Thursday, November 15, 2012

Cranberry Spinach Salad

Ok, so can I just say that I've been making this salad for almost four years now and it's ridiculous how much I eat it.  It is almost like an addiction.  The dressing is sweet and tangy which is offset by the bitterness of the spinach and the sharpness of the feta, it is just happy in a bowl!  The other great thing about this salad is how versatile it is.  If you have fresh fruit, use it.  You have romaine lettuce and not spinach, that works too.  The dressing works on so many different combinations.  I hope you like this as much as me!  Thank you Alex for sharing!


Best Salad Dressing Ever
1 cup light colored vegetable oil (sunflower oil works great, use your favorite)
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika

In a salad dressing shaker or mason jar combine oil, sugar, vinegar, garlic, salt and paprika.  Shake well until thick and well combined.  This keeps well in the refrigerator.  It will separate, shake well before using.

This picture is half of a recipe.


Cranberry Spinach Salad
-Baby spinach leaves (Romaine, or Mixed Greens work well too)
-1/2 cup Craisins (dried cherries, dried pomegranates, fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries...     whatever you have that sounds good!)
-1/2 cup candied pecans/almonds
-1/2-1 cup feta cheese (Colby, Monterrey Jack, sliced mozzarella cheese sticks)
(cucumbers sliced and quartered taste great with this salad also)

Fill a large bowl with spinach leaves or desired greens.  Sprinkle the fruit, nuts, and cheese over the top.  Drizzle dressing over the top or serve separately on the side.

My favorite 2 combinations:
spinach, craisins, pecans, and feta
romaine, fresh strawberries, almonds, and Monterrey Jack

I usually make this as a single serving for myself where I just pile everything that will fit onto my plate.  Try not to lick it when your done.  To not be quite so obvious I take cucumber slices and scrape every last drop I can.  It's not really better than just liking my plate, but I feel a little more dignified about it...

Print Friendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...