Thursday, November 29, 2012

Cranberry Scones

This is one of those recipes I have been making for a long time and they are my oldest son's favorite.  He absolutely loves them, I hope you do too.


Print Recipe

Cranberry Scones

1 1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup cold butter
1/3 cup crasins
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup half and half (if substituting milk start with 2 or 3 Tbsp and add more as needed)
1 Tbsp or so of raw (turbinado) sugar

Preheat oven to 425 F. Mix the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder together.  Cut in cold butter with a pastry blender until a coarse meal.  Add in the craisins and stir.  Add the egg and half and half.  Mix a few strokes with a wooden spoon, will be very crumbly.  Turn out onto a pastry mat or a sheet of wax paper.  I find the easiest way to work the dough is to knead it with your hands pushing and smashing with the palm of your hand until all the flour is incorporated and you have a slightly sticky dough.


You don't want it too wet or they will 'melt' and completely loose their shape.  Shape the dough into a 6" round and sprinkle the sugar on top lightly pressing it into the top of the dough.  Cut the disk into 8 slices with a knife.



Bake about 15-18 minutes until lightly browned.  I like to turn for the last 2 minutes  so they brown evenly.


I made this batch for my book club today and had the intentions of saving one for my big one, but alas the last one I had set aside didn't stand a chance of making it home.  I guess I will have to make more...

Print Friendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...