Friday, January 4, 2013

Blue Butterfly Baby Quilt

My friend's sister is having a little baby girl, so I made this quilt for her.  I tried out some applique and a little hand embroidery for embellishment.  I think it turned out pretty cute.





I had 6 cordinating fat quarters so I cut:
9 6" squares of each fabric, I didn't quite use all of them and I didn't have enough of the blue for a full square so I made a template from a manilla folder for butterfly wings with the remaining fabric.

6 squares x 6 squares = 36 total squares

The white/muslin:
2 1/2" x 6" rectangles = 30
2 1/2" x width of row plus an inch = 5

Looking back I would have made one big square where the butterfly was appliqued instead of making the square...  It should have been a 10" x 6" rectangle.

I used 1/4 of a yard of yellow and made 4 WOF strips for the border
and a little less than 1/2 yard of orange for the binding, I double my binding so my cuts were 3."

Let me know if you like it!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt! I love the fabrics! I'm pinning this!

    Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party
    http://usscrafty.blogspot.com/2013/02/submarine-sunday-19.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this - so beautiful! I'd love for you to share this or any of your great ideas at the link party going on now (and every Saturday through Tuesday) at 'Or so she says ...' Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete

Print Friendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...