Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Cornmeal Rolls

This is a recipe passed along by my Mother-in-law.  They are always wonderful.  My boys eat them as quickly as I can pull them off of the pan.  They have a wonderful sweet taste and are fabulous made into a ham sandwich or smothered with homemade jam.  I'm sad they are gone already, I may have to make more...
 
Print Recipe

Cornmeal Rolls

1/3 cup corn meal
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp salt
1/2 cup shortening
2 cups milk
1 Tbsp Active Dry Yeast
1/4 cup warm water (85-95 F)
2 beaten eggs
4 cups of flour, adjusted
2 Tbsp melted butter
cornmeal for sprinkling

In a large saucepan cook corn meal, sugar, salt, shortening and milk until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly.  Cool to lukewarm (about 15 minutes in an ice-bath).  I like to use an ice-bath it speeds up the cooling process.   Use a large bowl and fill with ice water.  Place the corn meal mixture in a smaller bowl that nests inside the other, be sure not to get water in the corn meal.

While mixture is cooling dissolve yeast to 1/4 cup of warm water and let ferment.

In a large mixing bowl combine yeast, corn meal mixture, and beaten eggs mixing well.  I like to use the bread hook in my Kitchen Aid.  Add enough flour to make a soft dough.  Start with 2 cups and gradually add more until you reach the desired consistency.  Knead well.

Grease a large bowl and let rise until doubled.  Punch dough down .  Roll out to about 1/2-1 inch thick and cut into rounds.  I use a floured glass.  Brush the tops with melted butter and sprinkle with corn meal.  Place on a greased pan and raise about 30-45 minutes.


Bake in a preheated 375 F oven for about 15 minutes.  I always double the recipe because they disappear too quickly.  So quickly in fact I don't have a picture of one baked to give you... I was too slow with my camera, sorry.

Print Friendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...